As an avid griller who has long treasured the charm of an intimate backyard BBQ, I’ve always appreciated the convenience of a small gas grill. They’re compact, easy to use, and ideal for those of us living in cozy spaces or with a penchant for grilling on the go. This year, I’ve explored numerous models, from the most basic to those loaded with features, to present to you my top seven picks for small gas grills in 2023.
The beauty of small gas grills lies in their portability and efficiency. They have enough power to sear a steak perfectly, yet they’re small enough to fit on a city balcony or in the trunk of your car for a beach trip. They light up quickly, heat up fast, and are easy to clean. What’s not to love?
The Cream of the Crop: Best Small Gas Grills of 2023
Choosing the right grill, however, involves considering a number of factors. We need to think about how portable we want it to be, the heating capacity, durability, and of course, how much we’re willing to spend. We also need to consider our own lifestyle – are we looking to host small garden parties, or is it more for solitary cooking on a quiet Sunday afternoon?
With these considerations in mind, let’s delve into my handpicked selection for 2023:
Kicking off our list is the impressive Weber Spirit II E-210. With its GS4 grilling system, a duo of efficient burners, and an ample 450 square inch cooking area, this small gas grill is no short of a performer. In terms of build quality, it’s truly a testament to Weber’s high manufacturing standards.
The icing on the cake is the flavorizer bars – not only do they ensure even heat distribution, but they also catch those flavorful drippings and smoke them up, adding that irresistible smoky nuance to your food. It’s worth mentioning, however, that a few users have had difficulties with the ignition system. Nevertheless, Weber’s commendable customer service never fails to address such issues promptly.
Customer Feedback: “I absolutely adore this grill. It heats up quickly and maintains temperature effortlessly. It’s made my outdoor cooking a delight!” – Amazon User
Following up, we have the Char-Broil Performance 300. This compact powerhouse comes with two burners, delivering excellent temperature control that’s often hard to find in smaller grills. Apart from the 300 square inches of primary cooking space, it also features a swing-a-way warming rack, making it versatile enough for a variety of dishes.
Though the assembly can be a tad complicated, the performance it delivers once set up will quickly make you forget that minor inconvenience.
Customer Feedback: “Despite the tricky setup, this grill is a dream to cook on. Controlling heat on it is as easy as pie!” – Amazon User
For those tight on space, the Fuego Element Hinged Grill is your savior. Its unique cylindrical design saves space without skimping on power – housing a 22,000 BTU/hr dual-zone burner that can handle anything you throw at it. On the downside, some users reported difficulties cleaning it. But considering its stellar cooking performance, that’s a minor con many are willing to overlook.
Customer Feedback: “This grill is not only a space-saver but a fantastic cooker. It’s also quite the conversation starter at BBQ parties!” – Amazon User
Experience unmatched portable grilling with the Coleman RoadTrip 285, your ultimate companion for outdoor cooking adventures. Equipped with three adjustable burners and a design that folds quickly, this grill is tailor-made for grilling enthusiasts who are always on the move. The cooking surface, however, could benefit from a smoother finish.
Customer Feedback: “This grill accompanies me on all my trips. The adjustable burners come in really handy!” – Amazon User
Though slightly larger than the rest on this list, the Cuisinart CGG-7400 is a great choice for those who crave more grilling space but still prefer to avoid a full-size grill. With its four burners and a total cooking area of 610 square inches, it offers a significant upgrade in terms of space. The knobs could feel sturdier, but this doesn’t compromise the overall functionality.
Customer Feedback: “This grill is a powerhouse. The cooking space is massive, and it heats up so fast!” – Amazon User
The Napoleon TravelQ TQ285X is the perfect blend of portability and quality. This grill features a high-top lid, ideal for larger cuts of meat, and its porcelain-coated cast-iron cooking grids excel in distributing heat evenly. While it’s a bit pricier than others, the superior build and performance justify the cost.
Customer Feedback: “Every cent spent on this grill was worth it. The cast-iron grids are simply top-notch.” – Amazon User
Last but not least, the Pit Boss Grills 75275 makes its mark as a lightweight, portable, and user-friendly grill. Despite its simplicity compared to other contenders on this list, it’s just the ticket for those who appreciate straightforward, efficient grilling.
Customer Feedback: “This grill is the epitome of simplicity and efficiency. It’s a perfect fit for my apartment balcony.” – Amazon User
Now that we’ve gone through the reviews and comparison, you might have a few questions buzzing in your mind. Let’s address some of the common ones:
- How to clean a small gas grill?
- The key to a long-lasting grill is regular cleaning. After each use, once the grill has cooled down, brush off any residue on the grates. Deep cleaning should be done every few months – remove the grates and burners and clean them separately. Use a grill brush and soapy water, or a vinegar solution.
- How to maintain a small gas grill?
- Apart from regular cleaning, check for any leaks or damages, especially before the grilling season begins. Keep the grill covered when not in use to protect it from the elements.
- Can I use a small gas grill indoors?
- In general, gas grills are designed for outdoor use due to ventilation needs and fire safety. They produce carbon monoxide, which is dangerous in unventilated areas. However, there are some models of indoor gas grills available on the market.
- What is the typical lifespan of a propane tank when used on a compact gas grill?
- It all comes down to the BTU rating of your grill and the size of your propane tank. The perfect match ensures optimal grilling performance. As a general rule of thumb, a standard 20lb propane tank should provide around 18-20 hours of grilling time on a medium-sized grill.
- How to properly store a small gas grill?
- When storing your grill, make sure it’s clean and dry to prevent rusting. Remove the propane tank and store it separately in a well-ventilated area. It’s best to keep your grill in a dry, protected area like a shed or garage, and use a grill cover for added protection.
- What’s the best way to light a small gas grill?
- Most modern gas grills come with an ignition button for easy lighting. If your grill doesn’t have one, you can use a long match or grill lighter. Always open the lid before lighting the grill to prevent gas buildup.
- Can I use a small gas grill on a balcony?
- It depends on the regulations of your apartment complex and local fire codes. Some places allow grills on balconies, while others do not. Always check these rules before grilling on your balcony to avoid potential fines or safety hazards.
- What should I do if my small gas grill isn’t getting hot enough?
- First, check if there is enough fuel in your propane tank. If there is, check the burners for any blockage that may restrict gas flow. Regular cleaning of your gas grill can prevent such issues.
- Is it better to grill with the lid open or closed?
- This depends on what you’re grilling. If you’re cooking thin cuts of meat that cook quickly, you can leave the lid open. However, for thicker cuts or if you’re aiming for a smoky flavor, close the lid to create a more oven-like environment.
- How do I know when it’s time to replace my small gas grill?
- Signs that you might need a new grill include difficulty getting it hot enough, burners not lighting up, noticeable rust on the grates or body, or if you’re frequently replacing parts.
As we wrap up this flavorful tour of 2023’s best small gas grills, I hope you’ve enjoyed our exploration of these compact culinary wonders as much as I have. Each model, from the versatile and travel-friendly Coleman RoadTrip 285 to the robust and reliable Weber Spirit II E-210, and the high-performance powerhouse that is the Pit Boss Grills 75275, brings something unique to the table.
Choosing the right grill isn’t just about ticking off features from a list. It’s about finding a match that fits snugly into your life, compliments your cooking style, and makes your grilling adventures a joyous ride. The best grill for you is one that meets your needs, matches your budget, and brings a smile to your face each time you lift that lid.
In this exploration, my aim was to guide you through the landscape of small gas grills, help you weigh your options, and ultimately aid you in making an informed decision. Remember, grilling is not just about the end result; it’s a journey. Experience the thrill of igniting the grill, the harmonious sizzle of cooking, the irresistible scent dancing in the breeze, and the pure joy of a perfectly grilled feast.
As we bid adieu, I hope our excursion through the world of grills has stoked the embers of your enthusiasm for grilling in 2023. May your grilling journey be sprinkled with succulent delights, shared laughter, and memories that keep the flame of joy alive. Here’s to a year of great grilling and even better company. Until we meet again, stay curious, keep exploring, and happy grilling!