As a homeowner, I take pride in maintaining a well-manicured lawn. To achieve this, I need a reliable lawn mower. That’s why I’ve been considering electric lawn mowers, which have become increasingly popular due to their eco-friendliness, lower noise levels, and ease of use.
Importance of electric lawn mowers
Electric lawn mowers offer numerous benefits, including reduced emissions, lower operating costs, and minimal maintenance requirements. As an environmentally conscious homeowner, these benefits appeal to me greatly.
Factors to consider when buying an electric lawn mower
When shopping for the best electric lawn mower, I need to consider several factors, including power source, cutting width, battery life, and additional features. This article will guide me through the top 6 electric lawn mowers of 2023 and provide valuable insights to help me make the best choice.
Best Electric Lawn Mower 2023
After thorough research, I found that the Greenworks Pro 80V 21-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower is the best electric lawn mower of 2023. This powerful mower offers exceptional performance and durability.
Features and benefits
The Greenworks Pro 80V features a brushless motor, delivering power comparable to a gas mower without the harmful emissions. With a 21-inch cutting deck, this mower can handle medium to large lawns efficiently. The 80V lithium-ion battery provides up to 60 minutes of runtime, while the rapid charger ensures a quick recharge. The mower also features adjustable cutting height, easy folding for compact storage, and a 4-year warranty.
Best Electric Riding Lawn Mower
For those with larger lawns, the Ryobi 38-Inch 100 Ah Electric Riding Lawn Mower is our top choice for the best electric riding lawn mower.
Features and benefits
The Ryobi Electric Riding Lawn Mower boasts a 38-inch cutting deck, allowing for efficient mowing of larger lawns. With a 100 Ah battery, this mower offers up to 2.5 hours of runtime, covering up to 2.5 acres on a single charge. It also features LED headlights, cruise control, and a USB charger for added convenience.
Other Top Electric Lawn Mowers of 2023
Aside from our top picks, there are other great electric lawn mowers worth considering.
This mower features a dual battery system for extended runtime, a 21-inch cutting deck, and adjustable cutting height. It also has LED headlights and an easy-fold handle for storage.
This affordable mower has a 13-amp motor, 14-inch cutting deck, and adjustable cutting height. It’s lightweight and easy to maneuver, making it perfect for small lawns.
This powerful mower has a 21-inch cutting deck and provides up to 45 minutes of runtime. It also features easy push-button start and a 3-in-1 design for bagging, mulching, and side discharge.
This versatile and innovative tool combines three essential lawn care functions into one convenient device. With a simple adjustment, you can seamlessly switch between mowing your lawn, trimming edges, and edging pathways.
Best Self-Propelled Electric Lawn Mower
Top Pick: EGO Power+ LM2130SP 21-Inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
My top pick for the best self-propelled electric lawn mower is the EGO Power+ LM2130SP 21-Inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower. This mower boasts a 21-inch cutting deck, making it suitable for medium to large lawns. Its self-propelled feature allows for effortless mowing, reducing fatigue during extended use. The brushless motor provides excellent torque and efficiency, while the 56V lithium-ion battery delivers up to 60 minutes of runtime. Additionally, the mower features LED headlights, weather-resistant construction, and multiple cutting height options.
Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
Top Pick: Makita XML03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT 18-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
For the best cordless electric lawn mower, I recommend the Makita XML03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT 18-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower. This mower offers the convenience of cordless operation, with dual 18V LXT batteries providing a combined 36V of power. Its 18-inch cutting deck allows for efficient mowing in small to medium-sized lawns. The brushless motor ensures optimal performance and extended battery life. The mower also features quiet operation, easy height adjustments, and a foldable design for compact storage.
Runner-up Electric Lawn Mowers
Aside from our top picks, there are other electric lawn mowers worth considering as well.
This mower is a powerful alternative worth considering. With its 21-inch cutting deck, 82V lithium-ion battery, and up to 45 minutes of runtime, this mower delivers impressive performance for medium to large lawns.
This compact mower is perfect for small lawns, with a 14-inch cutting deck and 40V battery providing up to 30 minutes of runtime. The mower also features IntelliCut technology, ensuring optimal cutting performance.
Electric Lawn Mower Buying Guide
When choosing an electric lawn mower, several factors should be considered. Here are some essential considerations to make.
1. Power Source
Electric lawn mowers are available in corded and cordless varieties. Corded mowers offer unlimited runtime, but their range is limited by the length of the power cord. Cordless mowers provide greater mobility, but their runtime is restricted by battery capacity.
2. Cutting Width and Height
A wider cutting deck allows for faster mowing but may be less maneuverable in tight spaces. Adjustable cutting heights enable customization based on your lawn’s needs and your personal preferences.
3. Battery Life and Charging Time
Longer battery life allows for extended mowing sessions, while shorter charging times reduce downtime between uses. Consider your lawn size and the time you’re willing to spend mowing when selecting a battery-powered mower.
4. Noise Level
Electric lawn mowers are generally quieter than gas mowers, making them more suitable for use in residential areas with noise restrictions.
5. Weight and Maneuverability
Lighter mowers are easier to push and maneuver, while self-propelled models require less physical effort. Consider the size and terrain of your lawn when selecting a mower.
6. Additional Features
Features like LED headlights, mulching capabilities, and easy storage options can enhance the convenience and functionality of your electric lawn mower.
Electric Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips
Proper maintenance is key to prolonging the life of your electric lawn mower. Here are some essential tips to keep in mind.
- Always keep the blades sharp for optimal cutting performance.
- Clean the mower deck after each use to prevent grass buildup.
- Check the air filter and replace it if necessary.
- Charge the battery fully before storage and keep it in a cool, dry place.
- Check the oil levels regularly, and change it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Store the mower in a covered, dry place to protect it from the elements.
Environmental Benefits of Electric Lawn Mowers
Electric lawn mowers have a lower environmental impact compared to their gas counterparts. They produce zero emissions, have a lower noise output, and consume less energy. By choosing an electric lawn mower, you’re contributing to a greener, more sustainable future.
Safety Tips for Using Electric Lawn Mowers
Using an electric lawn mower can be a safe and enjoyable experience by following some basic safety guidelines:
- Read the manual: Always read the manufacturer’s instructions and familiarize yourself with the mower’s features and operation before use.
- Wear appropriate protective gear: Wear closed-toe shoes, long pants, and eye protection while mowing. Hearing protection is also recommended, especially for prolonged use.
- Inspect your lawn before mowing: Remove any debris, such as rocks, sticks, and toys, from the lawn before mowing to prevent damage to the mower and potential injury from flying debris.
- Keep children and pets away: Ensure children and pets are a safe distance away from the mowing area to avoid potential accidents.
- Use caution on slopes and uneven terrain: Mow across slopes rather than up and down, and be extra cautious on uneven terrain to maintain control of the mower and prevent tipping or sliding.
- Don’t rush: Take your time while mowing to ensure an even cut and reduce the risk of accidents.
- Store your mower properly: Store your electric lawn mower in a dry, cool place when not in use, and always disconnect the power source before performing maintenance or storage.
- Making the Switch – Transitioning from Gas to Electric Lawn Mowers: If you’re considering switching from a gas-powered lawn mower to an electric model, it’s essential to understand the key differences and benefits:
- Lower emissions: Electric lawn mowers produce zero emissions, making them a more environmentally friendly option compared to gas mowers.
- Reduced noise: Electric mowers operate at a significantly lower noise level than gas mowers, providing a quieter and more pleasant mowing experience.
- Lower operating costs: While the initial cost of an electric mower may be higher, the ongoing expenses for fuel, oil, and maintenance are typically lower.
- Easier maintenance: Electric lawn mowers require less maintenance than gas models, with no oil changes, spark plug replacements, or air filter cleanings needed.
By understanding these differences and weighing the pros and cons, you can make an informed decision about transitioning to an electric lawn mower.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Lawn Mowers
Like any product, electric lawn mowers have both advantages and disadvantages. Understanding these factors can help you make an informed decision about whether an electric mower is the right choice for your needs.
- Eco-friendly: Electric lawn mowers produce zero emissions, making them a greener choice compared to gas-powered mowers.
- Quieter operation: Electric mowers generate less noise than gas mowers, making them more suitable for residential areas with noise restrictions.
- Lower operating costs: Electric mowers have lower ongoing expenses, as there is no need to purchase fuel or oil.
- Easier maintenance: With fewer moving parts and no need for oil changes or spark plug replacements, electric mowers require less maintenance than their gas counterparts.
- Instant start: Electric mowers start with the push of a button or the turn of a key, eliminating the need for pull cords or multiple start attempts.
- Lightweight design: Many electric mowers are lighter than gas mowers, making them easier to maneuver and transport.
- Limited runtime: Cordless electric mowers have a restricted runtime based on battery capacity, which may not be sufficient for larger lawns or extended mowing sessions.
- Restricted range: Corded electric mowers have unlimited runtime, but their range is limited by the length of the power cord.
- Lower power: Electric mowers may not be as powerful as gas mowers, potentially making them less suitable for heavy-duty tasks or tall, thick grass.
- Higher upfront cost: Electric mowers can be more expensive upfront than gas mowers, although the difference in operating costs can offset this over time.
By weighing the pros and cons, you can determine if an electric lawn mower is the best option for your lawn care needs and preferences.
- How do I choose the right cutting width for my lawn mower? Consider the size of your lawn and how quickly you want to mow it. A wider cutting deck allows for faster mowing but may be less maneuverable in tight spaces.
- Can I use an electric lawn mower in wet conditions? It’s not recommended to use an electric lawn mower in wet conditions to avoid electrocution or damage to the mower.
- How long does it take to charge an electric lawn mower battery? Charging times vary depending on the model and battery capacity. Most electric lawn mower batteries take a few hours to charge fully.
- How often should I sharpen the blades on my electric lawn mower? The blades should be sharpened at least once a year or more often if you mow frequently.
- Can I store my electric lawn mower outside? It’s best to store your electric lawn mower in a covered, dry place to protect it from the elements and prolong its life.
Selecting the best electric lawn mower for your needs can greatly enhance your lawn care experience. With numerous options available, considering factors like power source, cutting width, battery life, and additional features will help you make an informed decision. Our top picks, such as the Greenworks Pro 80V, Ryobi Electric Riding Lawn Mower, and EGO Power+ LM2130SP, offer exceptional performance and convenience to suit a variety of lawn care needs.